Friday, June 12, 2009

Profile Writing -- Setting the Scene

If you want good color in your writing, you have to see it.

The easy way is to take the subject out of her office and into an environment that makes her most comfortable.

Two years ago, I interviewed and wrote about an Austin-based entrepreneur who collects Porsches. We met in his office, talked for about an hour, then guess what? I asked for a ride. He asked me what the Porsche ride had to do with the story; I told him it would be my lede. He told me more personal stuff in that 20-minute ride than the hour in his office. And I had visuals of him at home...the details of the car, the places where he likes to drive most, what he looks like behind the wheel. Does he take off his jacket? Does he keep one hand on the stick shift?

One of the easiest stories I've ever written.

No comments:

Post a Comment