Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Take the "I" out of your cover letter

There is a simple tool for writing a better cover letter: Take the "I" out of the beginning of your sentences.

We have a tendency to start each paragraph and sentence with "I." Resist the temptation. It is visually jarring, and it reveals a lack of mastery of the English language.

How do you do this when you are writing about yourself? Here are three sure-proof ways:

1) Write first, then go back and edit later. Get your main strengths on paper; nothing is in stone until you send it.

2) Once you've written your draft, look for ways to start your sentences with phrases that highlight your talents. For example: "Having written and edited since 1985, I offer my clients crisp, engaging words."

3) Take "I" completely out of the sentence when possible. "Edits are accepted cheerfully and professionally."

These three rules will improve your chances of getting noticed. Without realizing it, employers will have a better reading experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment